By: Otaiba Ahsan
Picture this, you’re on a trip and about to do a fun activity. When getting ready, the staff walks you through all the different emergency situations. While it’s easy to get distracted and laugh about how unlikely those scenarios are, if the time ever comes, you’ll have wished you paid attention. For Tesla’s, finding a situation where you’ll need to manually open the trunk of your Model 3 or Model Y from the inside seems farfetched, but not impossible. Here’s where to find the interior emergency trunk release on a Tesla Model 3 and Model Y.
Interior Emergency Trunk Release
While unlikely, if there’s a situation where your Model 3 or Model Y loses power, then mechanisms like the automatic trunk will no longer work. If you absolutely need to open the liftgate in this type of scenario, it’s possible to do so in a few short steps:
1. First, you’ll need to access the trunk. If you’re in a Model 3 then fold the rear seats which will allow you to crawl through to get to the back of your car. For the Model Y, you can simply jump into the trunk from your backseats, or if you want to make it easier for yourself, you can fold the seats as well.
2. Look for an illuminated mechanical release, which will allow you to get out even if your car has no electrical power. Firmly press and hold the illuminated button in the direction of the arrow to release the latch.
3. Lastly, while pressing the button, push the rear trunk open. The button should glow for several hours after a brief exposure to ambient light.
Opening the Liftgate Normally
While it’s good to know what to do in emergency situations, let’s quickly go over how to open the trunk in normal circumstances. There are several ways to do so:
- Touch the Open button on the touchscreen inside your Tesla when the car is in park.
- Tap the rear trunk button in the Tesla app.
- Double-click the rear trunk button on the Tesla Key Fob.
Press the switch located under the liftgate’s exterior handle, a valid key must be detected for this option to work.
Tesloid offers several accessories for the rear trunk of the Model 3, Y and S. You can find a broad list by searching “trunk” on the site. Here are some that I’d like to highlight:
1. Trunk Mat (Available for Model 3, Y and S): Getting a mat for your rear and front trunks will help protect the interior of your car. They can withstand any dirt, debris, spills, or snow that may come in contact with your trunk. This is especially handy if you’re frequently loading cargo that can leave a mess like food or garden supplies. All the Tesloid Trunk Mats are made to fit each Model they’re available for and match the minimalistic look of Tesla.
2. Lights (Available for Model 3, Y and S): Tesloid has three different products that help add light to the trunk, a unique one for each of the Model 3, Y and S. This includes the Model 3 Trunk Puddle Lights, Model Y Trunk LED Strip, and the Model S Trunk Puddle Lights. All three serve the same purpose – lighting up the trunk and frunk. They are 9 to 10 times brighter than the OEM trunk light and can be useful for those who struggle to see in the dark.
3. Storage Extender (Model Y Only): The Model Y Trunk Side Storage Extender is a great way to add cargo. It extends the corner space, allowing you to tuck away more items. It’s ideal for storing cleaning or other utility items. It’s a simple Velcro strip that makes installation a breeze.
The Bottom Line
So, where do you find the interior emergency trunk release on a Tesla Model 3 and Model Y? When in your trunk, look for an illuminated mechanical release, then firmly press and hold the illuminated button in the direction of the arrow to release the latch. Lastly, while pressing the button, push the rear trunk open. It’s a simple process, and it never hurts to be emergency prepared.